Skip to main content

Mortiem et Gloriam - Tudor English vs Senguko Samurai - all in 10mm Glory!

A fast and furious game, involving two of my 10mm Pendraken Armies. Mark chose my Tudors, the first time they've been out since the days of FoGR. I had sent Mark a list of armies he could chose from , and he suggested I randomly pick my army to face him, so I did. This was Mark's first time with an infantry army, after using Alans for his first few MeG games. The result was the nearest army historically, but furthest away geographically! My Senguko Samurai from the Usegui clan, as used at Warfare. Both CinC generals are 25mm, Henry VIII and Fluffy, it's a long story!

The armies deploy.
Very dense terrain, Mark picked marshes, and out scouted me by 80%!

To my left, safely behind barricades, a unit of bows and a unit of handgunners that would spend the day watching the action. My allies were on the hill. Foot to the right of it. As usual my Samurai had two ambushes, (white paper scraps), one behind the hill (powerbow foot and spears) and two cavalry in the woods.
Mark went for a long line of powerbows, supported by his heavily armoured foot, and his bills. On his left he stacked his knights, aiming at my camp. This could be a problem!

First moves: Cavalry spring forwards to engage Mark's average billmen. Mark reacts by forming out towards them. My foot ambush moved at full speed to the end of the line to react to the oncoming cavalry juggernaut!


Two lines approach, just as Mr Barker intended! ;) My foot ambush had formed a line, Mark's bills had formed a line to face off my cavalry (who were breathing a massive sigh of relief at not having to face 16 bases of powerbows).

From here on in, the action got a bit tense, so photos are a bit lacking, sorry! The two battle lines crashed in, and despite me being, on average, two factors up, (Yellow dice to white), I couldn't his a barn door! Mark then threw in his Pikes and Heavy foot against my allied average bows, they knew their role: die. Slowly!

On the flank, Mark's cavalry had shot the gap, he threw one average knights at my powerbow armed, skilled Samurai. This was their second charge after the first was stopped short with only a wound on three yellow dice.
There should be another skull here too! Off the knights go as they broke (Yellow dice for shooting: You start on white dice, then upgrade through factors, Skilled vs Average +1, Powerbow +1, ignore heavy armour at less than 1BW. Not often it happens, but it feels good when it does).

After a bit of cunning maneuvering on my part, I got my average spears to charge Mark's superior cavalry in the flank! Yay! Nope, even with red and yellow dice, twice, I could not break his knights, One more wound, easy win for, oh hell... He managed to charge my flank with his average knights! He was on double reds and obliterated my spears in a turn.

The general situation after a quick swapping of units. The centre grind was definitely going Mark's way, his units of 8 bows were soaking up the damage supported by two generals, his pikes and heavy foot were shoving me all over the shop. On the left, my cavalry was in a mutual break situation with his average billmen. He had charged me twice, each time I had stood and shot, wearing him down, then broke off.

On the right, Mark's victorious cavalry turned their attention to my powerbow armed samurai as they tried to flank him. However, as he charged, I shot him away! I LOVE samurai bows! However, my foot was in real trouble, his numbers (and my less than good dice) were telling.

A moment of mutual disintergration! My left hand cavalry broke, my spears melted under the assault of his pikes and men-at-arms, his bows evaporated (finally) as one of his generals died under the Samurai blades. That was enough to shatter his line. I had lost 4/9ths, but MArk lost 5/10th, so his forces broke. The Samurai off in the distance are moving over one of Mark's wound counters, so were only one hit off breaking too! 

There were two armies here just now! Look Henry is running away! 
15-8 to me!
Really tight game, really down to one wound either way in the end. A real thinker all round, we were both exhausted afterwards. Mark has asked for a rematch on March 8th, with exactly the same armies, but swapping sides.

I look forwards to it!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

15mm By The Fire and Sword Transylvanians commission.

Principality of Transylvania ( those ones , not those ones , get your mind out the gutter). Batch 4:- Ten more bases of Transylvanians (so thirty figures) for Manny, this time Comitatus or heavy household troops. Heavy lancers. A lot more colourful than the light horse. As ever, Manny will do his own basing and add flags later. Lots of cloaks Quite a sizable force Batch 3: 30 extra Transylvanian light horse for Manny Not as bright as others, but these are lower order troops. Advance Lots of hairy cavalry As ever, Manny will base these himself. That way lads! Player's eye view At the trot The force, so far (there's still have a bag of blisters to do) Batch 2: As ever, Manny will add the flags and his own basing at his leisure. 12 bases of household levy lancers (36 figures, not sure how many units that equates to) for the 15mm Transylvanians. Only realised whe

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25