Skip to main content

Warband - Hunt the Prize. Taurians vs Dark Elves

Been a while! Term must have started again...
There is a batch of figures ready to go, but not until their owner approves. There were four games of MeG at Derby, of which I lost... Four! Nice wooden spoon water bottle though.

So, back in the real world of Wargaming, a nice, friendly, fight, involving my Dark Elves, used by the redoubtable Graham, and me with my Taurians.
Taurians:
Chieftain D6
Shamen D6-1 (and that -1 told after a while)
3 minotaurs
1 centaur knight, upgraded with fierce, powerful and impetuous
1 centaur warriors
1 centaur archers with parting shot

The Dark Elves:
Warlord D6+2
Mages D6+2
3 x crossbows with powerful
4 x warriors
1 x Witch Elves

Terrain choices were interesting, Graham went for three (yes three) impassable water features. I picked a hill and two woods. What could possibly go wrong?
Well, it could all fall on Graham's side of the table, with the objectives hidden in.
And Lo! It came to pass! Except two of Graham's water features, which miraculously dried out.

Deployment. Booty marked by by Graham's kindly placed tiddy-winks! Note one at the rear in the water-feature, so would never be reached by anyone...
 The terrain fell beautifully for Graham, he split his forces between the three objectives, with his troops practically on the white objective. Thankfully the objectives don't go live in this scenario until turn 4. I had to move and move quickly.
I had my Centaurs left, supported by the mage, the centre was the Minotaur Chieftain and three blocks of Minotaurs. On the left I put a fast force of Centaur Knights and Centaur Archer. The plan was to blitz these guys down the right, just in case.

My Shamen rolled a decent set of dice, so I cast 'Ride The Wild Winds' so my Centaurs had a chance to roll a second movement. I immediately passed 4 times! This allowed the brave half-men-half-horses to sprint into the wood (even with it's slowing effect) and bags the objective, which was a BLANK!
This left my warriors dangerously on their own facing a Dark Elf Warrior unit, plus two crossbows, this could hurt a LOT! They took a wound from their spell, it was looking dodgy.

Over on my Right, Graham rolled a 6, and unearthed a buried cache of wine. He set up his crossbows and witches to defend it, supported by his archmage (who was constantly rolling 8 Magic Points).  I had one option, and that was to get amoungst him and hope I could hold him off from claiming a win on turn 4! 

In the centre, with us both slowed by the hill, my Minotaurs surged forward as a group, and Graham's three units of warriors, backed up by his Lord, snuck forwards..

Graham reached the central objective first, and thankfully it was a blank.
The one great strength of teh Taurian army (apart from it's strength) is it's mobility. It all moves at speed 2, with motivation 2, so a potential of an 'unboosted' 4 moves (40cm) a go. So, I detached a minotaur from the hill to assist the Centaur knight attacking the crossbow armed Dark Elves that were causing a lot of hits on my tin-plated horse! Meanwhile, the centaur archers snuck around the wood to snipe at the mages.
 My units from the left, with all haste, redeployed right, leaving two minotaur units to hold off Graham's warriors on the hill, Unfortunately my Chieftain was shot in the back by a Dark Elf Crossbow that had cleared the wood. My centaurs from the wood even rolled enough dice to get clear of the wood, leaving Graham's units facing... nothing.

Back on the right, the Witch Elves and minotaurs clashed, both with powerful and fierce. It was a flurry of blades, and both units fell back. My archers took two hits from magic missiles, but caused a wound on the Dark Elves.
Three times my Centaur knights charged, three times they were repulsed before they and the Dark Elves mutually broke.

On the hill all five units were engaged, the crestline was hotly contested, and the hits came thick and fast.

The Dark Elves came off worse.

As the Centaur Knight break into the distance, a flanking attack by Minotaur warriors cracked the crossbows.

Shortly after my archers turned the mages into a pincushion (but they were left on 1 wound too)
 The objective was mine!
However, the tables had reversed, now Graham had to keep units within three bases of the wine stash to stay in the game.

Graham was using his D6+2 command points to great effect, rallying up his warriors and stopping routs, but my Minotaurs had the hill and were as angry as a bull-in-a-china-shop.

Graham's troop from the left finally rejoined the ruck, getting flank shots into my rear Minotaurs, and taking the heat off his warriors.

Minotaurs do not like getting shot!

Graham's warriors charged down the hill at my Shamen, this could be costly!

My centaur warriors had to ride hard to the rescue of of the Shamen, as my central Minotaur warrior fell to many Dark Elf blows.

My Shamen took three hits and were pushed back, but thankfully saved themselves (with a little help from my General). Graham was closing in and reinforcing his fragile line.

My minotaurs in the wood tore themselves away from the wine, and faced down Graham's all powerful lord, my archers were targetting a beaten up warrior unit, to no great effect.

Minotaurs, really strong in combat yeah?
3D6 melee, charging +1, fierce +1, flank attack +1, in the flank +1, so 7d6 needing 4, this should have been a devastating attack.
 Errr... NOPE!

The centaurs finally inflicted enough hits on Graham's warriors (charging up hill) mightily boosted by the general to break Graham's army (50% of the army = break). and the Taurians carried the day.
Great game, very close. The mobility of the Taurians paid off. If Graham had been able to form a fire line, I would have been in trouble.
Finally, I won a game!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25