Skip to main content

Uesgui Samurai vs 100 Years War French - Mortiem et Gloriam

Quite some dust up last night!
Warm up for Warfare vs Mark, he with his 100 Years War French, me with my Uesegui Clan Senguko Samurai, originally painted for Field Of Glory Renaissance, but seeing as Si's MeG rules overlap, and Nigel has challenged me with his Samurai when the lists came out, and its our traditional grudge match, well, why not!

Until Warfare, the exact detail of my list will remain concealed. Two units of cavalry, two Samurai with spears, two ashugari with spears, one bow armed ashurai, one firearm armed Tepu, and a Samurai Bow unit. One Ashugaru and one Samurai spears were allied under command of a Competent General. Unfortunately, I was unable to finish basing my camp and the Tepu, sooooooorrry!

Mark had three units of mounted knights, a units of armed to the teeth foot knights, two units of crossbows, a unit of mercanary longbows, some mounted sergents, a few skirmishers with crossbows, and lastly, some ribald scum (guarding his camp).

The terrain fell fairly well for me, my town came in centrally, Mark pushed my hill off towards the other flank, a vinyard and a wood abutted the waterway. Mark had two small woods on his side, but the rest of his terrain disappeared quickly! So much for Very Dense terrain!

With one scouting card, I'm never going to get deployment, and I'm sure at Warfare I will be outscouted 100% on one occasion; so special tactics and defensive ideas it is. I was outscouted by 60% on this one.

My deployment from the French lines, the three cards mean something, but it kept the French guessing!

Thankfully, my ally decided to play nicely.

My cavalry, accompanied by 'The Great Director' scaring Mark's knights, powerbows on horses, brutal!


Threatening each other's flanks, the Tepu watch on from safety of their barricades.


The battle developed quickly, I sprang my right hand card as two cavalry units on the hill (behind the ridgeline), as Mark swang to deal with this, my allies came forward to deal with them, and my bow armed Samurai came out of ambush in the town to flank the masses of crossbows and longbows Mark could field in the centre.
And yes, I held all the red cards at one point!


This shot about sums up Mark's game! He tried to charge two units of his knights at my Samurai spears, but I had the initiative and my mounted Samurai had both the time, motive and inclination as they found the knight's rear! Red and green followed by red and white, this was never going to be nice. My other cavalry retired from a charge from Mark's sergents, I should have stood and shot, ho hum, that would come back to bite me later...


Not quite the quick kill I was after, but Mark had no cards to turn these knights, so I destroyed these knights in the melee. His charge above hit my spears, and, well, did nowt!


Mark had a unit of knights here, honest! 2:1 up so far! I made the mistake of trying to charge a 6 of Ashugari at his crossbows, they had already taken one kill and a wound, two kills and a wound from closing fire later, and they evaporated in a haze of aerial blood droplets!

I was now in a bind! Powerbow and in my rear, I could quite easily lose a very expensive unit that was bumped up against the Samurai. I had to turn my Samurai 180 and move off, allowing my Cavalry a route through, all those red card really did come in useful.


On the other flank, Mark's foot knights tried to charge my Samurai archers, but my Ashugari thankfully got in the way. Their job was to hold, and prey! Mark was going to chew this unit to pieces, how long could they stay there before I could rescue. Mark's third knights charged my powerbow armed cavalry samurai, about the one unit I own without any anti-cavalry capability. He was plus 4! I was toast..

Except, he missed! And then missed again! It's a game of skill! Supported by my C-in-C 'Fluffy' this unit was also going to kill knights!

A wider view of the flank, as my bows attempt to come round the foot knight's flank, you can see the damage already metered out to the Ashugari.


And my other unit of mounted samurai, while trying to snipe Mark's sergents suddenly found a unit of crossbows targetting them, and I had no cards to move them (talented general, four cards, three blacks and a green oh ta). What was I going to do?


Play grid on the table, as I'm using a bunch of troop types and weapons I'm not really used to, so it was permanently on table!

My ashugari broke, and they only ran 1 bw, meaning my already victorious cavalry swooped into the back of Mark's foot knights. Red and green dice came up trumps. 

In the centre, my two foot samurai units hit Mark's crossbows and longbows, it was just a matter of time, and it was a short sharp scrap, his crossbows which and already taken losses, shattered. 

15-6 win to the Samurai. Learned a lot about my army. The cavalry are superb, as long as they have the cards to move. The foot units are all solid, and can deal a lot of damage, even standing up to charging devastating lancer type knights. Shooting is not something I have really used before, but I like it!

Onto Warfare! Come on Nigel!

Meanwhile, on another table, the Spanish and French 10mm Renaissance that I had painted for Graham had their first outing. A few shots.

That's a fine looking set up boys!

Bonus points if you can name the battle!


Really nice looking game.

Defend that wall against those Swiss boys!

Think those knights are going to cause problems.

It's all over bar the shouting!

Think Graham's Spanish Renaissance had a bad night (but I painted all these for him)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The random miniatures in my lead pile thread

Hi all, As the months go on, I am finding more random stuff that does not fit into any catagory is creeping it's way up to the surface of my lead mountain. I decided a few years back, rather than just throw it back like one of Nobby's escaped socks, I would actually paint some of them.   Nemisis the Warlock - Khaos; Deadlock; the Warlock; the Shape of Things to Come; the Lord of the Flies; Holder of the Sword Sinister; The Death Bringer One of my all-time favourite 2000AD characters (2000AD is a British sci-fi based comic for those not from the fair shores of Blighty). "Creedo!" I got hold of two of these on Evil Bay, one uncommon (yellow base rim), one rare (red base rim), so I trashed the rare one (and kept the base elsewhere). This is a simple conversion of a heroclix figure,  Excessus, Sword Sinister replaced, base ripped off and new one sculpted, undercoated figure,  completly  repainted, flying stem attached. Sometimes, you just need a seri

Aliens - more eggs, equipments.

+++Further transmissions received+++ Final set of bits from Assests and Hazards for Aliens, including four eggs. Eight more cases. Top view Three more terminals Classic beige Couldn't help myself - electric dreams!   +++Transmition received+++ What weird eggs are these? And one is already open, which means... Hold on, I'll just check the database... Errr, guys... There's a lot of blips... Another twelve of them! I've got them on monitor... They've breached the wall... They're coming this way! We can't stop them! +++Transmition ends+++   Four more crates. Because...   A few extra bits of usefullness to run the game next week. The stuff of nightmares, a pair of facehuggers! Really nasty idea Leaping to capture new victims Eeep! A pair of high tech computer terminals Living in electric dreams... Sure my Uni had these as high tech in t

Medieval Scots - A replacement army - second set of three spear units added

I  have, after much soul searching (no I could not find mine either), decided that I really should stretch my Pictish spearmen a whole 1000 years. 300ish to 1300 ish, so really stretching the whole Pict-morph-thing now. So 10mm to replace the fallen over the winter, this will be fun ( 18 months later, and summer is on the way and I finally started them ) This means a restart and finish with my Scots army back where I started with them for DBM, a successful army, but before MeG came out I had not touched them in 10 years, then I sold my 15mm version of them in 2014 (and then were instantly stolen from my late friend's car).  So, back to the 1300s version. 1315 to be exact. A project I've been putting off for years, but now I have started the Medieval Scots spearmen from c.1315 with Pendraken figures and flags . Got this lot finished just in time for this weekend's MeG tournement. More Scots spears and the generals Another 25